During the past couple of decades, people are finally waking up to the benefits of organic farming. Organic farming basically refers to a way of farming that doesn’t harm the soil microbiota or the ecological community of microorganisms living in the soil. This form of harmless farming technique has been practiced in India and China for over 4000 years now.
Crops are cultivated in such a way as to keep the soil microorganisms alive by nurturing the soil with organic waste, cattle waste, and agricultural waste products. These bio-fertilizers ensure that the soil is properly nourished in an eco-friendly manner, without the detrimental effects caused by using pesticides, herbicides and a host of other chemicals used in conventional farming practices. Benefits of organic farming include a richer soil, higher crop yields and tastier farm produce.
Some of the benefits of organic farming include the following:
- They provide a healthier and ethical choice of food.
- Organic farm produce has greater nutritional value as compared to conventionally grown farm produce.
- Organic farming practices protect the normal habitat of soil flora and fauna.
- The organic farming technique builds a healthy soil system.
- It reduces the presence of pesticides and other harmful chemical residues in the soil.
- You are saving the environment for the coming younger generation by encouraging organic farming.
- Organically grown food tastes better and has higher levels of antioxidants.
- It is also good for the immune system of man and reduces chances of cancer due to chemicals present in produce cultivated through conventional farming.
- Organic farming discourages erosion and encourages the formation of richer topsoil.
- Organic farming reduces atmospheric carbon dioxide by storing it in the soil, thus helping in slowing down global warming.
- Organic farming practices help in keeping rivers clean too as there is no leaching of potentially toxic chemicals like herbicides, pesticides, and inorganic fertilizers.
- Organic soil has a higher number of helpful bacteria as compared to soil from conventional farming which creates an imbalance in the soil’s ecosystem.
- Organic farming practices do not expose farm workers to potentially toxic chemicals used in conventional farming.
With so many positive benefits of organic farming, it’s no wonder then that Malabar Developers have come up with this amazingly green apartment project called the Orchid Park located in Trivandrum. Alongside with stunning landscaped gardens and green lifestyles, it also offers its inhabitants organically-grown vegetable produce cultivated within this gated community! What more could you possibly want?